Arizona
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
As my days shortened in time for my family to move to Utah I saw how important Arizona was in my life. It is the place I call home. Arizona is where I grew up and made many friends throughout my life. Arizona is where I would make the fond memories of marching band, baseball, church and life in high school. Arizona is where my heart is and will always be.
I attended Highland High School in Gilbert, Arizona. It is where I met and became friends with many people including Jacob Handy...
...and Alex and Chelsea from marching band. The recollection of band trips and memories to other places in Arizona and California with them were my first experiences of high school. The band traveled and participated in BOA which is Bands of America.
It was the competition of a lifetime where the best bands from around the country came and competed against each other. I still remember the top ten bands that were going to the finals were announced. In no particular order they named off nine bands and things were tense as we waited to here the tenth and final band to make it to finals. I just remember the announcer yelling Highland High School Marching Pride! Our band went ballistic jumping on each other and cheering for joy. Later that evening our band was privileged to march in the BOA finals.
It was a memory still fresh in my mind as if it happened yesterday. Marching band was an amazing way I met and became friends with people.
In Arizona I had many friends and good influences but the best of each were those of my church leaders. My church leaders were so loving and cared for me as if I were one of their kids. I remember going on campouts and listening to them teach and bear testimony of the true gospel around the campfire. Those are memories of a lifetime that cannot be forgotten. I remember my last campout before I moved. Our priest quorum was sitting around the campfire drinking homemade root beer. We were listening to one of our leaders speak and I just remember his strong testimony and what it meant to me. Then he gave me the opportunity to say some things since it was my last campout with them. I remember how hard it was to hold back the tears as I appreciated all that they have done for me in my life in Arizona. Then after I spoke we sat around the fire singing some fun songs about campers. I will never forget that night and my church leaders. They have a special place in my heart for them.
Arizona is a place of beauty as the tall mountains sky scrape around the valley like walls around a castle across the desert scene. How the warm dry air blows in your face as you drive down the hot black top. Arizona is the place where you smell the unique cattle and dairy odor in the air. Arizona is where the beauty of the Grand Canyon lies. It is where you can feel the chill of the Colorado River in the bottom of the blistering canyon. Arizona is like a portrait as you watch the sunset in the evening with the cactus in the background. Arizona is beauty. Arizona is home.
Arizona is a place of beauty as the tall mountains sky scrape around the valley like walls around a castle across the desert scene. How the warm dry air blows in your face as you drive down the hot black top. Arizona is the place where you smell the unique cattle and dairy odor in the air. Arizona is where the beauty of the Grand Canyon lies. It is where you can feel the chill of the Colorado River in the bottom of the blistering canyon. Arizona is like a portrait as you watch the sunset in the evening with the cactus in the background. Arizona is beauty. Arizona is home.
~ Written by Brady Lester
The following letter was sent to Brady after we moved to Utah. It's from President Gale Brimhall. He served as our Stake President for over 10 years, and we were in the same ward. After he was released he became the Young Men's President and Brady's leader. We have always loved President Brimhall and it was a great blessing to have him be apart of Brady's life more closely. The pictures is the service project that Brady participated in at President Brimhall's Snowflake Ranch. They cut wood for all the widows in the area. This is where Brady spoke about the testimony meeting around the campfire. Campfires and testimonies are always amazing.



Brady and Kyle Allen- Buds

Thank you President Brimhall, Brother Gruninger, Brother Bollwinkel, Brother Rowse, Bishop Benson, Ben Peay, Brother Rasmussen, Brother Handy, Brother Barry, and all of Brady's Young Men Leaders that has served and made an impact on Brady's life. You have made a great impact on this young man. We thank you. You will always hold a special place in our hearts...especially Brady's.






1 comments:
Ah, that's such a great post. I loved reading it.
Carla
Post a Comment