Dear Friends in China
Friday, September 12, 2008
Our friends, Wynn and Paula Ferrell are in China teaching English for a year. This morning I read the blog entry from President Ferrell. You can read it here. It is the funniest story. They are both such a treat to know and we have always felt blessed to know them and have them a part of our lives. When we first moved into the Emerald Bay Ward, I was Paula's visiting teacher, then Paula and I became companions for the past several years and I loved every time we did our visiting teaching together and visited Sister Rice and Terol. I cried more over leaving Pres. Ferrell and Paula when we moved to Utah, and knew they would be leaving to China, and I wondered if I would ever see them again. I never wanted to disappoint them. You see, President Ferrell was in our Stake Presidency and we attended the same ward, but we didn't get to see him and associate with him outside of stake meetings until the Stake Presidency was released. We then saw President Ferrell each Sunday and then he became our Home Teacher. He taught our family so much over the past couple of years and the kids loved it when he would come over and teach one of his great lessons! He also treated our family to dinner a couple of times and took the boys to his wood shop and made little cars. He helped Brad and I so much. He gave us this counsel to follow:
1. Do your very best to not call Brad/Kimberly a name that’s demeaning. If you lose your temper then you need to apologize.
2. Don’t bring up anything from the past.
3. Everyday go out of your way to compliment Brad/Kimberly.
4. Pray to together every night and take turns praying and asking the Lord to forgive the way we’ve treated each other.
5. Go on a date twice a week - I invite Brad (1) Brad invites me (2).
6. Intimacy – tell Brad/Kimberly each day that I love him and express affection with hugs and kisses.
7. Find ways to laugh together.
8. Play board games with the kids and do things that are fun.
9. Do things for Brad/Kimberly each day.
10. Don’t bring up anything we’ve talked about that’s negative.
11. Accentuate the positive when I talk to Brad/Kimberly.
12. Don’t tease about weight, eating, etc...
13. Brad needs to open the door for Kimberly.
14. Use good judgment and common sense with how you treat Brad/Kimberly.
15. Treat Brad/Kimberly the way I want to be treated. Live the golden rule.
1. Do your very best to not call Brad/Kimberly a name that’s demeaning. If you lose your temper then you need to apologize.
2. Don’t bring up anything from the past.
3. Everyday go out of your way to compliment Brad/Kimberly.
4. Pray to together every night and take turns praying and asking the Lord to forgive the way we’ve treated each other.
5. Go on a date twice a week - I invite Brad (1) Brad invites me (2).
6. Intimacy – tell Brad/Kimberly each day that I love him and express affection with hugs and kisses.
7. Find ways to laugh together.
8. Play board games with the kids and do things that are fun.
9. Do things for Brad/Kimberly each day.
10. Don’t bring up anything we’ve talked about that’s negative.
11. Accentuate the positive when I talk to Brad/Kimberly.
12. Don’t tease about weight, eating, etc...
13. Brad needs to open the door for Kimberly.
14. Use good judgment and common sense with how you treat Brad/Kimberly.
15. Treat Brad/Kimberly the way I want to be treated. Live the golden rule.
I personally appreciated everything Pres. Ferrell did for Brad and I, and wish to always follow this counsel and let him know that we can succeed. They will always hold a very special place in my heart and I never wish to lose their friendship.
I love reading the blog of their time in China.







1 comments:
What a nice tribute. They have been great examples in many peoples lives, obviously mine included. And you have to admit, my dad has some pretty hilarious things happen to him!
Post a Comment