Fantastic Rehearsals
Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Tonight we had our first Temple Youth Celebration Rehearsal for our Stake. We combined with the Founder's Park Stake for the dance rehearsal and had our individual choir rehearsals. They both went fantastic! The youth were pretty chatty when the dance rehearsal began but as the evening continued on, there were times that you couldn't hear the youth talking at all. They were listening and being instructed and learning those fun 50's steps. Ross and Jessica Cox from our Stake and Katie Prestwich from the Founder's Park Stake did a superb job. It was so great to see the leaders - captains of 10 - dancing with the youth and helping them learn the steps, etc... They were right there teaching, encouraging and dancing. The 7th Ward Young Men Leaders are incredible. They came to the YM/YW Leaders Soc Hop on Sat. the 15th all dressed up 50's style with their pants cuffed at the bottom and their cardigan sweaters. Their wives wore poodle skirts and they all looked amazing! They picked up on the dance right away, so it was great when the dance directors asked for some leaders, including them, who dressed up 50's style again, to come forward and show the youth some dance steps. I think that was the kids favorite part. It makes all the difference when you actually are an example to the youth and get right in there and dance with them. Maybe the leaders who didn't get too involved will do so next week.
The choir had an incredible evening. Brother Parkinson is amazing in how he works with the youth. I think the choir had some touching and spiritual moments that the dance team didn't have. It's a completely different setting. Both directors for choir and dance are encouraged to emphasize the theme throughout the rehearsals and take time to share thoughts and stories to uplift the youth. The rehearsals were a huge success and couldn't have gone any better.
When the rehearsal ended we saw that the Temple was all lit up and it was as if someone knew we were here tonight. Heavenly Father knew that the youth were celebrating and preparing to "Come Up To The Mountian." It was so memorable.
I have a little thank you that I'm making for the leaders that I've been working with. I'll add the picture when I complete them. :)






0 comments:
Post a Comment